Monday, October 7, 2013

Blog Post 8 - Bill Gates Video





In today’s society, education is the way of the future. When examining countries like China and India, one thing is increasingly evident: the rising countries of the international community are ones that encourage and invest in education. The reason I chose this video was because I believe that it shows the urgency of education reform in the United States. Although the U.S. is investing an increasing amount of money in education, too many kids are dropping out of schools and failing miserably on the academic front. This means that something is terribly wrong. Success in school is a combination of effective teachers and motivated students. As Bill Gates said, “My success as an engineer is because I was good at math and I had good math teachers and, yes, I memorized the tables and learned how things worked. Gaining those facts helped me think about the patterns in those facts.” Only when there is a synthesis of good teachers and willing students will education reform be truly possible. Although America needs to be more competitive on the education front and, as Bill Gates remarked, “it’s not a bad thing that the rest of the world is improving their education systems. It’s not some zero sum game … It’s good that human potential globally is being tapped into.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment